The Scalloped edge. It's not a unique design in any way. It's seen on everything from bed linens to bathing suits, beach umbrellas to shoes. The standard, symmetrical wave is instantly recognizable and one of our favorite designs to manipulate at oomph! We like to think we've infused a little something "extra" into the standard scallop. At oomph, the scallop shows up in some of our most popular pieces - only proving the popularity and longevity of the design. In some cases, we've brought the design back to it's natural state - more reminiscent of an actual scallop shell. See for yourself!
The Wave Platform Bed and Headboard
NEW! Lyford Wing Chair
NEW! Scallop-hemmed Upholstered Slipper Chair
Scallop Slipper Chair
Hobe Sound Side Table
Hobe Sound Coffee Table
Hobe Sound Lantern and SconcesThere's more to the scallop shell than meets a designer's eye. The scallop shell has a long history in this world:
- Can be dated back to a prehistoric era
- Is referenced many times in the Bible (a symbol of both Saint James and Saint Augustine)
- Botticelli immortalized the shell in "Birth of Venus"
- Proust's favorite cookie was the Madeline — the perfect, French, scallop-shaped pastry.
- Visible on several royal coats of arms - heard of Princes William and Harry?
- Can be seen on just about every door in Nantucket in the form of a brass knocker
- And one of my most favorite varietals of scallop shell: The Verdura version